Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Analyze and Design of the Prestress Concrete Girders


As a Structural Bridge Engineer, analyzing, design and review of prestress girders is part of my everyday assignments.

To make my life easy, I have made my own spreadsheets as well as finite element tools to complete above tasks.

Design or review, my approach is two way.

1.      Spreadsheet
2.      Finite Element Model - either using commercially available software Midas Civil, Bridge CSI or Stadd Pro

 I use my own spread sheets to perform preliminary design, initial assessment to great extent.

  
Figure 1 : My Spread sheet to analyze time dependent behavior of the PSC girder


Use of my own spreadsheet helps to strengthen my confidence on the task where I have so much control over the design I have undertaken.



Figure 2 : evaluating the stresses and Deflections using my own spread sheets


 Figure 3 : Magnel diagram for Simply supported PSC girder- Spreadsheet
Once I conducted my preliminary analysis, though it is very much closer to manual detail design, I review the design using a commercially available software. Midas Civil is a great software where it provides many features that a bridge designer required.




Figure 4 : Grillage Model for single span PSC girder



Figure 5 : 3D Model of the PSC Girder



Figure 6 : Result Interpretation and tendon Profile check

This two way approach has made my work tasks effective as well as efficient and made much complex tasks in to achievable miles stones.

No comments:

Post a Comment